Sunday, January 6, 2013

Christmas Chaos

So after committing (to myself) that I would blog more frequently we promptly found ourselves looking for a place to move to and then ended up without internet (or even phone) for a while.

Obviously I'm back online now.

A while ago I committed to do the Memories and Thanks Blog Hop and now that the time is drawing near I'm finding it an emotional struggle to create this particular piece of jewelry. This blog hop is for those people in our lives who mean a lot to us -- a mom, a friend, a brother -- anyone who has meaning to us.  Create a piece of jewelry that tells that story. For some reason it didn't even occur to me to do it for someone still living. I have narrowed it down to two people: my dad (who has been dead for 14 years now) and my Uncle George - who died a couple of weeks before Christmas this year.


Dad would be easier - I adored him and he was a very cool person; a lot of memories to work with. Uncle George is a lot more complicated. He meant a lot to me and we were very close until about 5 years ago when he suffered a stroke. I was the only family member living nearby and pretty much the only family member on speaking terms with him so I jumped in and took care of him. This wasn't easy, but someone had to do it and I did it happily until I had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized. While I was in the hospital he got it into his head that I was out to get his money (not that he ever had much) and became very angry towards me. The stroke did enough damage that he was never the same and a man who had once been curmudgeonly was now as intractable as a two year old. I had hoped to reconcile with him, but he remained angry at me and we never spoke again. His death leaves me with a heavy heart.


For the blog hop I'll probably do Dad since I don't have a lot of time left and then I think I will gradually work in my journal until I'm ready to do something that lets me say goodbye to Uncle George.

No comments:

Post a Comment